Philip Budne, Consultant
phil at Ultimate.COM
- Un*x wizard; over 30 years professional experience with Unix/BSD/Linux
systems programming and system management
- TCP/IP protocol implementation and application development
- Making things work (practical orientation)
- Quality, Reliability, Scalability, Delivery on time
- Wading into, and draining swamps
- Porting (applications, drivers) to new Unix/Linux distributions
- Python2 to Python3 ports
- Amazon Web Services: EC2/ASG/SQS/DynamoDB/Redshift
- Low level programming: device drivers, kernel development, hardware interfacing
- Respecting and adapting adapting existing code and infrastructure
- Doing the nasty, gnarly stuff other people don't want to do
- Parsers, Little Language implementations
- Crafting tools, scripts, and little languages to help get the job done
- Odd jobs: No job too small, no mess too large
(December 1993 - present)
LoopUp (April 2017-Mar 2021)
Linux Systems work on SIP telephony appliance
- Ported large VoIP/SIP based voice conferencing system from RHEL5 to RHEL7,
and then to RHEL8, controlling all build/runtime parameterization in a single
config file per target system.
- Diagnosed Linux ethernet driver issues on Linux using perf and flame graphs.
- pthread parallelization of VoIP Media Control Unit (MCU) in C.
- Wrote open source C library for lightweight prometheus monitoring (on github).
- Added lightweight Prometheus monitoring and alerts to system.
- Wrote Python test tools for use by developers and Q/A.
- Created scripts for podman (Docker) server image creation.
TELoIP Inc (Dec 2018-Sept 2019)
NanoBSD based router/SDN (Atom) CPE and (VMware) concentrator.
- Helped port product from FreeBSD 8 to FreeBSD 12.
- Diagnosed and solved performance problems using dtrace, PMCs, flamegraphs.
- Refactored kernel netgraph module changes for maintainability.
SpeedGauge (June 2014-Dec 2018)
Back end Python programming processing telematics breadcrumbs on AWS.
- Implemented multiplexing messaging library in Python
- Supporing SQS (production) and files (for regression testing)
- Added optional JSON encoding
- Ported processing "pipeline" componennts from Perl to Python.
- Technology assessment (Cassandra, DynamoDB, Redshift, Spark).
- Implemented new NoSQL datastore services using DynamoDB and redis.
- Created client database caching layer (lightweight ORM) in Python, using Redis, Memcached and/or Elasticache.
- Converted AWS instance configuration from Chef to Ansible.
- Implemented auto-scaling of EC2 instances.
- Maintained and enhanced Graphite & Logging infrastructure.
- Created filtering syslog to slack bridge
- Created Ansible configuration scripts for monitoring and logging instances.
- Created montoring screens using graphite.
- ETL of 10+ years of historical data using PySpark on EMR.
- Added OpenID Connect authentication to Flask based API service for use by Android App.
Avigilon -- Linux Platform Contractor (Apr 2015 - Jan 2017)
- Embedded Linux based Video Security Appliance development.
- Disk management
- Firmware signing and encryption (using OpenSSL C API)
- Wrote Python regression test framework for Video Analytics Library
Second Wind (Jun 2006-Mar Apr 2015)
Developed reliable transport over UDP for use over 10-second long 9600bps satellite connections.
Code runs on Linux Server, Embedded Linux (Sodar wind prospecting appliance),
Alcatel-Lucent Enterprise (2004-2014)
Linux based VoIP/SIP telephone product.
- Implemented IPv6, Websockets and edge-triggered epoll in 30K SSL connection mutiplexer.
- Developed Java middleware to send XML encoded configurations to central Configuration Management Service using Java Persistence API.
- Modified upgrade procedures to perform upgrade on mirrored copy of system with minimal system downtime.
- Ported product from RH9 to RHEL4.
- Implemented SNMP monitoring.
- Developed VNC based "Desktop MCU" for multi-viewer application/desktop sharing with SIP signalling, Java & ActiveX viewers.