Re: [OMC-Boats] sweet 16

From: Lee Shuster <lks@...>
Date: Sun, 27 Dec 2009 08:05:00 -0700

Well, let's clarify Justin's comment for James in Canada.

For reference you can view my website: http://hhscott.com/evinrude for model numbers.

When OMC initially introduced boats into the USA market in 1962 and later in Canada, the were not marketed or branded as Evinrude of Johnson, but rather as OMC Boats.

In the fifites and early sixties the parent OMC (Outboard Marine Corp) sold outboard products under the following brands: J - E - G - O. (Johnson, Evinrude, Gale, and others for private labels.) Gale eventually became an accessory and parts division.

The first OMC boat product the 17-foot "Deluxe" hull was sold as an OMC brand from 1962 until roughly 1964-1965. Evirnude initially got the 16-ft gull-wing as an exclusive in 1964. But by 1965 the hull designs were shared with the 17 becoming an exclusive Johnson product until it was discontinued around 1966-67. From 1967-on the johnson and Evinrude line shared common hulss and power options. Only the decks and interior trim offerings differed.

Canadian production and marketing was HQ'ed in Peterborough, and I'm not clear exactly how the branding was handled, but suspect in was Evinrude/Johnson.

Lee